The following is an original recipe from Green Living Expert, Nickie Knight.
This healthy chocolate smoothie is not only delicious, it is packed full of nutrients that have been shown to increase mood, improve concentration, and give you focus.
It is quick and easy to make, and if you have a Vitamix blender it will turn out perfectly blended.
All of the ingredients should be organic if possible. Please note that the chocolate in this recipe is in its original form and not processed. This form of chocolate has the highest amount of antioxidant flavonoids.
1.5 Cups Hemp Milk
1.5 Cup Walnuts
2 Frozen Bananas
2 T. Organic Raw Chocolate Powder
2 T. Pure Maple Syrup
1 T. Coconut Oil
1 tsp. vanilla
.5 Cup Ice
Place all of the ingredients into the Vitamix (or your blender) and blend until perfectly smooth. Enjoy!
Brain Food Facts
- Hemp Milk: Excellent for memory function. Contains high Omega 6 and Omega 3s.
- Walnuts: Loaded in Omega 3s and mineral they are perfect for cognitive function.
- Banana: Potassium helps boost your brain power. B6 is needed to make neurotransmitters.
- Cacao Powder: Raises serotonin levels in the brain, stimulates the secretion of endorphins. It contains phenylethylamine which is known to be a mood elevator.
- Maple syrup: low glycemic index and provides antioxidants and various amino acids.
- Coconut oil: Considered one of the best fuels for healthy brain function. Studies have shown that coconut oil can provide a stable source of energy for the brain. The fat in coconut oil is excellent and used by the body in amazing ways.
New to organic food? Enter to win an amazing gift basket of yummy organic goodies from Cascadian Farm.
Nickie Knight is the Founder of Hip Moms Go Green. The hip moms guide to living and eating green. Her approach to the symbiotic relationship between healthy children and healthy surroundings has generated marked interest from eco-minded moms globally. Hip Moms Go Green covers everything from organic recipes (gfcf too), raw food, diet, nutrition, eco-lifestyle, holistic health, travel, fashion, and home.
Want more recipes from Nickie?
packed full of
nutrients and superfoods
including kale! (Yes kale!)
Our readers also enjoyed: Which ADHD Software Will Work For Your Child?
Photo ©istockphoto/Chris Elwell